QUITO. Richard Carapaz was proclaimed on Sunday, June 2, 2019 as the champion of the Giro d’Italia, one of the three largest competitions in world cycling together with the Tour de France and the Tour of Spain.
The Carchense rider of the Movistar Team thus became the second South American rider to win the title that has had 102 editions. In 2014, the Colombian Nairo Quintana was the first to achieve it and from today, Carapaz joins that select and small group of elite.
The Senza Fine is the gold trophy that the organization gives to the Giro champions each year. It is considered one of the most beautiful prizes that is given in the cyclone. It has 18 carat gold and on its surface the names of the 102 winners are written.
In the Arena Verona, from this day the one of Richard Carapaz is inscribed, who assumed the leadership of the test from Saturday 25 of May, in stage 14, and maintained the ‘pink jersey’ of leader during seven days in which he disputed three mountain prizes, two half mountain prizes, a flat test and the time trial that took place on this day.
In stage 21 – the last of the Giro – an individual time trial that toured Verona Fair and Verona Arena, the ‘Locomotora del Carchi’ consolidated its lead by registering 23’19 “at this stage.
The Italian Vincenzo Nibali registered 22’30 “and could not discount the minute and 54 seconds that the Ecuadorian had of advantage. Meanwhile, the Slovenian Primoz Roglic finished his time trial in 22’23 “. That record allowed him to reach the third place in the final classification of the Giro. Mikel Landa, Carapaz’s partner in the Movistar Team, finished the time trial in 23’04 “and his final position in the Giro was fourth. The Colombian Miguel Ángel López arrived in 23’27 “to stay with the white shirt and crowned champion Sub 25. (elcomercio.com)
TEN FIRST CLASSIFICATION STAGE 21 FINAL. (ITT 17 KM).
- Chad Haga (USA-SUN) 00:22:07
- Victor Campenaerts (BEL-LTS) +00:00:04
- Thomas de Gendt (BEL-LTS) +00:00:06
- Damiano Caruso (ITA-TBM) +00:00:09
- Tobias Ludvigsson (SUE-GFC) +00:00:11
- CZEJosef Cerný (CZE-CPT) +00:00:11
- Peio Bilbao López de Armentia (ESP-AST) +00:00:17
- Mattia Cattaneo (ITA-ANS) +00:00:20
- Vincenzo Nibali (ITA-TBM) +00:00:23
- Primoz Roglic (SLO-TJV) +00:00:26
TEN FIRST INDIVIDUAL GENERAL FINAL CLASSIFICATION.
- Richard Carapaz (Ecu) Movistar Team 90:01:47
- Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Bahrain-Merida +0:01:05
- Primoz Roglic (Slo) Team Jumbo-Visma +0:02:30
- Mikel Landa (Spa) Movistar Team +0:02:38
- Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo +0:05:43
- Rafal Majka (Pol) Bora-Hansgrohe +0:06:56
- Miguel Angel Lopez (Col) Astana Pro Team +0:07:26
- Simon Yates (GBr) Mitchelton-Scott +0:07:49
- Pavel Sivakov (Rus) Team Ineos +0:08:56
- Ilnur Zakarin (Rus) Katusha-Alpecin +0:12:14
TEN FIRST FINAL CLASSIFICATION POINTS.
- Pascal Ackermann (Ger) Bora-Hansgrohe 226 pts.
- Arnaud Demare (Fra) Groupama-FDJ 213
- Damiano Cima (Ita) Nippo-Vini Fantini-Faizane 104
- Fausto Masnada (Ita) Androni Giocattoli-Sidermec 93
- Richard Carapaz (Ecu) Movistar Team 90
- Davide Cimolai (Ita) Israel Cycling Academy 60
- Mirco Maestri (Ita) Bardiani CSF 54
- Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Bahrain-Merida 51
- Primoz Roglic (Slo) Team Jumbo-Visma 50
- Pello Bilbao (Spa) Astana Pro Team 48
TEN FIRST CLASSIFICATION OF THE MOUNTAIN.
- Giulio Ciccone (Ita) Trek-Segafredo 267 pts.
- Fausto Masnada (Ita) Androni Giocattoli-Sidermec 115
- Damiano Caruso (Ita) Bahrain-Merida 86
- Richard Carapaz (Ecu) Movistar Team 75
- Mikel Nieve (Spa) Mitchelton-Scott 68
- Ilnur Zakarin (Rus) Katusha-Alpecin 54
- Mattia Cattaneo (Ita) Androni Giocattoli-Sidermec 53
- Pello Bilbao (Spa) Astana Pro Team 46
- Mikel Landa (Spa) Movistar Team 42
- Gianluca Brambilla (Ita) Trek-Segafredo 40
TEN FIRST CLASSIFICATION OF COMBATIVITY.
- Fausto Masnada (Ita) Androni Giocattoli-Sidermec 74 pts.
- Damiano Cima (Ita) Nippo-Vini Fantini-Faizane 58
- Giulio Ciccone (Ita) Trek-Segafredo 57
- Arnaud Demare (Fra) Groupama-FDJ 47
- Pascal Ackermann (Ger) Bora-Hansgrohe 43
- Mirco Maestri (Ita) Bardiani CSF 36
- Marco Frapporti (Ita) Androni Giocattoli-Sidermec 35
- Mattia Cattaneo (Ita) Androni Giocattoli-Sidermec 34
- Richard Carapaz (Ecu) Movistar Team 30
- Dario Cataldo (Ita) Astana Pro Team 27
TEN FIRST CLASSIFICATION FINAL FOR TEAMS.
- Movistar Team 270:44:14
- Astana Pro Team +0:17:36
- Bahrain-Merida +0:18:31
- EF Education First +0:25:35
- Mitchelton-Scott +0:30:56
- Team Ineos +0:37:36
- Trek-Segafredo +1:11:03
- Bora-Hansgrohe +1:37:39
- Androni Giocattoli-Sidermec +1:41:39
- Team Jumbo-Visma +2:07:26