MADRID. The Belgian Wout van Aert (Jumbo-Visma) won this Monday in Albi the 10th stage of the Tour de France, at the end of which the French Julian Alaphilippe (Deceuninck-Quick Step) consolidated his yellow jersey after several favorites lost time because of the fans.
The French Thibaut Pinot, who gave 1 minute and 40 seconds, went down in the last 40 kilometers, as well as other aspiring podiums like the Colombian Rigoberto Urán, the Danish Jakob Fuglsang and the Australian Richie Porte.
For his part, the Ineos team of the British Geraint Thomas and the Colombian Egan Bernal achieved a great result before the first day of rest, placing the defender of the second title in the general, 1 minute and 12 seconds, and Bernal third, four seconds from Thomas.
Other well-placed runners at the end of the first week were left even longer, like the Spaniard Mikel Landa (2 minutes and 9 seconds) or the New Zealander George Bennett (almost 10 minutes).
Behind the break of the day there was a first warning 64 kilometers from goal, at the initiative of Ineos. But everything was under control before 38 kilometers from Albi the Deceuninck moved the race with the help of the wind. Alaphilippe himself lent a hand before Thomas’s companions tightened their pace.
The group of Pinot and Fuglsang came to approach a dozen seconds with 20 kilometers to go, but could not connect.
In the final sprint, Van Aert narrowly missed the Italian Elia Viviani. The young Belgian, 24 years old, triple world cyclocross champion in the past, makes his debut in the Tour this year. (depor.com)
TEN FIRST CLASSIFICATION STAGE 10 (217.5 KM).
- Wout Van Aert (Bel) Team Jumbo-Visma 4:49:39
- Elia Viviani (Ita) Deceuninck-QuickStep
- Caleb Ewan (Aus) Lotto Soudal
- Michael Matthews (Aus) Team Sunweb
- Peter Sagan (Svk) Bora-Hansgrohe
- Jasper Philipsen (Bel) UAE Team Emirates
- Sonny Colbrelli (Ita) Bahrain-Merida
- Matteo Trentin (Ita) Mitchelton-Scott
- Oliver Naesen (Bel) AG2R La Mondiale
- Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) CCC Team
TEN FIRST GENERAL INDIVIDUAL CLASSIFICATION.
- Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Deceuninck-QuickStep 43:27:15
- Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Ineos +0:01:12
- Egan Bernal (Col) Team Ineos +0:01:16
- Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) Team Jumbo-Visma +0:01:27
- Emanuel Buchmann (Ger) Bora-Hansgrohe +0:01:45
- Enric Mas (Spa) Deceuninck-QuickStep +0:01:46
- Adam Yates (GBr) Mitchelton-Scott +0:01:47
- Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team +0:02:04
- Daniel Martin (Irl) UAE Team Emirates +0:02:09
- Giulio Ciccone (Ita) Trek-Segafredo +0:02:32