SAN JOSE. Peruvian cyclist Alaín Quispe (Sel. De Perú) won this Friday in the sixth stage of the 55th edition of the International Cycling Tour of Costa Rica, which Costa Rica’s Daniel Bonilla leads without startling.
Quispe starred in a flight with four other cyclists he beat in the final sprint to give Peru the first victory of this edition of the Tour of Costa Rica, something that had not happened since 1980.
The Peruvian has been the most prominent of his team in this Tour and is also the leader of the flying goals.
“I am very satisfied with the result. It is a breath that demonstrates that it can be done. We work very methodically and this achievement goes to my team. I kept the last kilometers to finally win the stage,” said the Peruvian cyclist.
This Friday’s day took the cyclists for 146 kilometers along the hot southern Pacific coast of Costa Rica between Dominical and Golfito.
In the second place came the Guatemalan Julio Padilla and in the third box entered the Dutchman Stephan Bakker, who tried unsuccessfully to defeat the Peruvian in the last sprint meters.
The leader Daniel Bonilla and his team controlled the race in the main squad and prevented the cyclists with chances of fighting the title from cutting advantage.
The Mexican Efren Santos remains in second place overall at 1:11 and Honduran Luis Lopez in third place at 1:16.
For Saturday, the seventh day is scheduled between Golfito and Pérez Zeledón, in the south of the country, for a route of 202 kilometers, mostly in flat terrain.
In the 55th edition of the International Tour of Costa Rica, which will conclude on December 25, 8 local teams and 7 foreigners from Ecuador, Russia, Peru, Nicaragua, Holland, Guatemala and Mexico compete. (EFE)
GENERAL CLASSIFICATION STAGE 6 (146 KM).
- Alain Quispe (PER/Selección de Perú) 3:25:38
- Julio Padilla (GUA/Ópticas Deluxe)
- Stephan Bakker (NED/ProCyclingStats)
- Guillermo González (CRC/Teleuno BCT)
- Juan Rosales (MEX/Canel´s Specialized) +0:00:05
INDIVIDUAL GENERAL CLASSIFICATION.
- Daniel Bonilla (CRC/Scotiabank-Nestlé-Metrica-Giant) 16:47:34
- Efrén Santos (MEX/Canel´s Specialized) +00:01:11
- Luis López (HON/Ópticas Deluxe) +00:01:16
- Bayron Guamá (ECU/Selección de Ecuador) +00:03:04
- Pablo Alarcón (CHI/México Canel´s Specialized) +00:05:56